On Indie Music, I was taken back and having fun remembering Manchester Music from the 80’s, here are some links and bands etc (have copied in some of the good text below)
Bands, remember these names
Bands that have emerged from the Manchester music scene include the Buzzcocks, The Fall, Joy Division and its successor group New Order, Happy Mondays, The Charlatans, Inspiral Carpets, James, The Stone Roses, and Oasis. The Chemical Brothers, although from southern England, formed in Manchester. Ex-Stone Roses frontman Ian Brown and ex-Smiths Morrissey continue successful solo careers. Other Greater Manchester natives include Richard Ashcroft and Jay Kay of Jamiroquai. (wikipedia, I remember the names though)
Also The Smiths, Cure, Cult, The Wedding Present (see to remember were big), House of Love, Spear of Destiny
English indie scenes
- Liverpool: (See Liverpool music scene). Famous for producing Echo & the Bunnymen and The Teardrop Explodes during the post-punk era, and has recently fostered bands such as The Zutons, The Coral, Hot Club De Paris, Ladytron.
- Birmingham: notably Grebo (Pop Will Eat Itself, Ned’s Atomic Dustbin, The Wonder Stuff ) plus scene surrounding The Jug of Ale bands including rumblefish, Ocean Colour Scene and more.
- Coventry: With emerging bands such as The Enemy coming from Coventry and the subsequent ressyrection of Stiff Records
- London: Notably the The Scene That Celebrates Itself, Thamesbeat and Whitechapel scenes.
- Manchester: Since the advent of punk rock, Manchester’s indie scene has yielded seminal groups such as Joy Division, New Order, The Smiths and The Fall. Famous for the Madchester scene in the late 80’s led by Factory Records artists The Stone Roses, James, and The Happy Mondays. The Madchester scene heavily influenced the city’s Britpop scene which included blur, Oasis, The Verve and Doves. Singer-songwriters Badly Drawn Boy and Jim Noir operate from the suburb of Chorlton.
- North East: Produced post-punk revivalists The Futureheads from Sunderland and Maxïmo Park from Newcastle upon Tyne. Pete Doherty comes from Hexham.
- Yorkshire (Notably Leeds and Sheffield): Sheffield is best known in indie cicrles for the band Pulp and its frontman Jarvis Cocker. Several members of Mercury Prize winners Gomez studied at Sheffield University. The rise of Arctic Monkeys has paved the way for new bands such as Milburn, Little Man Tate, The Long Blondes, The Dodgems, 65daysofstatic and Firegarden . Not as prolific as Sheffield, Leeds has still produced notable indie acts such as Kaiser Chiefs, The Music, ¡Forward, Russia!, Hadouken!, The Pigeon Detectives and The Wedding Present.